What you can do
We’re in start-up mode in the US, after eight years of building Peace Direct in the UK. We launched to the public in May 2011, and gained our 501(c)3 status in December 2011. Now we need your help to bring our message of locally led peacebuilding to the American public.
The values that Peace Direct celebrates – entrepreneurship, risk taking and self-help – resonate strongly in America. US foundations such as Humanity United, Fetzer Foundation, Compton Foundation and Rockefeller Brothers are already supporting our work and that of our partners.
We have funded many website projects, Insight on Conflict is the best. – Robert Adams, Fetzer Insitute
Moreover, the US is the base for powerful multilaterals such as the UN and the World Bank. We will be seeking to persuade them to make much greater use of local capacity for peacebuilding.
But building a public supporter base has always been central to Peace Direct’s mission. We want to inspire people with the stories of our local heroes, in conflict areas across the world.
Here are some things you can do:
- Talk about us to your friends – your enthusiasm is worth a thousand mailings!
- Put us forward for a collection in your faith group
- Celebrate a birthday, wedding, anniversary or Christmas by asking your friends to donate to Peace Direct
- If you have a talent– dance, music, theater – put on a show for us and help support Peace Direct.
- Show the film Pray the Devil Back to Hell, a powerful feature film about how Liberian women, led by Nobel laureate Leymah Gbowee, helped end a vicious war.
- Join our Board – we are particularly interested in people with fundraising and financial expertise to complement the existing Board members.
Even the smallest contribution counts for a lot, and we will be truly grateful for anything that you can do for us. Please contact Brian Neff at [email protected] to see how we can support your fundraising.
From time to time we may also be looking for paid or volunteer help.